Friday, May 23, 2008

First Idaho Backpacking Trip of the Year

Around 3:00 pm last Friday (May 16, 2008), I departed for my first Idaho Backpacking trip of the year. I was hoping that Susanna would be able to go with me, but unfortunately we couldn't find a babysitter at such short notice so she graciously offered to stay behind. I decided to hike along the Palisades Creek, up past the lower lake, and camp near Chicken Springs for this first solo trip of the season. The weather was clear, so I opted not to bring the tent, and slept out under the stars. It was a little chilly at night, but not too bad. I've included some pictures of the trail, and a picture and video of my campsite. I woke up Saturday morning around 5 am.  Initially, I had planed on hiking to some falls that are located about 4 miles further up the trail from where I camped. However, I was unable to continue up the trail because this old rickety bridge had been washed out by the spring runoff. I decided that the water was moving too fast to ford, and to be honest, I really didn't feel like getting wet. Oh well, maybe I'll get to see the falls later this year.




No comments: